Key IT Competences
VMware vSphere 5.0, 4.1, 4.0, 3.5. Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, 2008, 2003 R2, 2003, 2000.
Windows 7, Vista Enterprise x64, XP Professional, XP Professional x64 Edition.
- Virtualisation – VMWare vSphere 5 designed, managed, configured platforms from ESX 3.5 to the latest release, VMware Site Recovery Manager.
- Storage – managed, configured and maintained HP EVA SAN, NetApp FAS, BlueArc and CoRAID storage platforms.
- Active directory administration and migration – Successful migration of desktop, servers and associated infrastructure from a single site Active Directory domain to a multi-site, multi-domain forest with over 450,000 users worldwide.
- Data Centre management – HP Proliant BL blade servers C class infrastructure installed/configured with Cisco interconnects, Brocade 4GB fibre switches. HP Proliant DL series. Dell PowerEdge rack-mount servers.
- Third line support – for over 75,000 users using helpdesk management tools such as Remedy Trouble Ticket and Vantive.
- Configuration control - Contributed to the successful configuration of 60,000 Windows NT workstations within 10 months to solve Y2K problems gaining an entry into the Guinness Book of Records.
- Networking – Secured wired and wireless networks IEEE 802.1x network authentication with Cisco infrastructure. VLAN setup and administration using Cisco IOS on Cisco Catalyst hardware.
- Firewalls (VPN) – installing 3Com OfficeConnect DMZ and 25 with InterOffice VPN capability and remote users.
- Telephony System – Avaya IP Office PBX administration, configuration with expansion for digital, VoIP.
- Virus Protection – installed and configured antivirus solutions including Trend Micro OfficeScan, McAfee ePO, Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition.
- Network monitoring – installed and configured Microsoft Systems Center Operations Manager 2007, Veeam One, SpiceWorks and HP SIM. Security and vulnerability assessment performed using ISS Security Scanner and GFI Languard Network Security Scanner.
- Patch management – installed and configured Microsoft Windows Server Update Servers.
- Backup & Recovery – CommVault Simpana with Advanced Deduplication Windows, SQL, Virtual Machine iDataAgents. Symantec Vertias Backup Exec with Microsoft Exchange, SQL, Domino agents
- Infrastructure services – such as email, Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 through to 5.5. Web filtering and caching utilising Microsoft ISA Server 2004. Terminal services through Windows Terminal Services.
- Internet Webservers - configuration and securing webservers utilizing IIS, Apache Tomcat, Windows Server, ISAPI modules such as Active State Perl and PHP.
- Database servers - Microsoft SQL Server. MySQL.
- Software Development tools support – CVSNT. HP TestDirector and Atlassian JIRA (Issue Tracking)
- Desktop support – for Windows 2000, XP and XP Professional x64 edition operating systems; Microsoft Office 2000, XP and 2003 applications software.
- Enterprise Project Management – Microsoft Project Server 2003 configuration and administration. Windows SharePoint Services.
Formerly of Siemens IT Solutions and Services, managed the network infrastructure (server, storage, networking), key contributor to a diverse range of infrastructure migration and improvement projects. Working at a Siemens Healthcare location producing superconducting magnets for MR scanners with another location producing medical software.
- Datacentre management of over 150 virtual servers across two sites running on 16 ESXi hosts, multiple storage platforms (HP EVA SAN, several NetApp FAS running NFS).
- Created a demonstrable disaster recovery strategy with VMware vSphere Site Recovery Manager (SRM) between two distinct sites using vSphere replication. Scenarios could be enacted with RPOs and recovery plans designed and agreed within the requirements of the business.
- Datacentre migration. VMWare virtual migration of datacentre, rather than physically moving servers from one datacentre to another, performed physical to virtual conversion (P2V) on over 30 servers with minimal downtime and within the tight timescale dictated by the business.
- Formulated a successful project plan for server room migration. Everything from designing the server room layout to project management, multiple vendors and contractors, which led to successful implementation. Everything operational within budget, specification and on time.
- Architected a successful policy based backup solution. Data (files, sql and Virtual Machines) backed up with CommVault Simpana utilising DASH deduplication technology using multiple retention policies allowing backup to disk, auxiliary copy to remote disk and spooling off on to tape for regulatory and compliance purposes.
- Initiated the successful implementation of a protected network environment incorporating cabled 802.1x network authentication and failover VLANs.
- Enabled the testing of a new software platform through the setup of a Windows Deployment Server to deploy server/client images in a software testing environment.
- Third line support for server and network infrastructure issues, from fault finding, reporting, to problem resolution
Day to day management of the network infrastructure, key element in change, global player. Liaised with colleagues covering multiple time zones.
- Spearheaded a successful Active Directory domain migration and workstation rollout from a single site Active Directory domain to a multi-site, multi-domain forest with over 450,000 users worldwide. Desktops, application servers, infrastructure services (AD, DNS, DHCP, DFS etc), email all migrated on time and within budget.
- Architected the successful implementation of a high performance 64bit environment with Windows XP x64 Edition to facilitate the development of 64bit software products. From active directory preparation, ensuring backwards compatibility for non-64bit compatible applications to workstation rollout.
- Implemented a local node of a global ClearCase environment with HP Proliant BL blades and HP EVA SAN utilising HP Rapid Deployment Pack.
- Initiated the successful outsourcing IT services to third parties. Outsourced first line support and helpdesk facilities to Siemens ITO in Germany. Furthered through the implementation of managed IT services such as Microsoft Exchange 2003 hosting, ftp hosting and remote LAN access (VPN).
- Instrumental in introduction of an effective collaboration solution between Siemens MI engineers and staff across three sites (two in the US) using Office Communicator and LiveMeeting.
Managed the day to day running of the network infrastructure. Mirada Solutions Ltd, a fast moving medical software company focused on R&D which grew from a spinoff of the Oxford University Medical Imaging Lab to being acquired by a NASDAQ listed company. The medical industry where a strong emphasis is placed on quality assurance and regulatory approval therefore documentation, procedure and ISO auditing are key.
- Provided budgetary analysis and guidance to local cost centre managers for hardware and software requirements. Performed software licensing maintenance and management from single user licensing, floating user, to enterprise license management.
- Fundamental in the adoption of a CRM system used by the local software production department and customer services in the US. Enabled inventory management and customer support in-between the parent company in the US and the Oxford office.
- Devised policy notes and guidance for the use of Display Screen Equipment in consultation with the HR department. Provided education and performed risk assessments on relevant employees.
- Software engineering tools support including the installation and configuration Atlassian JIRA, CVSNT and ViewCVS.
Worked within the Software Delivery and Configuration team on the Inland Revenue and Employment Services contracts covering for over 60,000 Windows NT4 workstations.
- Third line support in the remote configuration of workstations and servers. Second line support in creating and troubleshooting NT/Exchange accounts, file shares for over 75,000 users.
- Applied knowledge of how Microsoft NT and other software products to effectively support the control and administration of a large computer network.
- Identified problem causes and applied the most efficient and cost effective solutions.
- Communicated solutions in a timely manner using helpdesk-reporting tools such as Remedy Trouble Ticket and Vantive.
- Articulated problems and ideas in a clear concise manner to project leaders and customers.
- Worked within close-knit project teams to achieve stringent milestones.
- VMware vSphere 4.0 installation, configuration hands on (Learning Tree)
- VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM)
- PRINCE2 Foundation
- ITIL V3 Foundation Service Management
- Commvault Simpana System Administration
|Aston University, Birmingham
BSc (Hons) Computer Science and Business Administration – attained 2(i)
Final Year Options taken: Advanced Business Computing, Worldwide Management of IT, Software for Systems Programming, Object-Orientated Software, Object Database Technology, Geographic Information Systems, Strategic Information Systems, Multi-Media Systems, International Marketing, Finance and Value-Based Strategy.
|1997 – 2001
|Furze Platt School, Maidenhead
Advanced GNVQ: Business Merit.
A level: Geography C.
AS Levels: Information Technology B, General Studies C.
GCSEs: 9 grades A* to C, including Mathematics B and English C.
|1990 – 1997
||Full UK clean driving licence, car owner.
Interested in music, theatre, films, reading, cycling, watching motor sport, and rugby.